Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Kolkata Magic!!



As I was reading about Shah Rukh Khan's article that he had become a Kolkata-Vasi after he bought Kolkata Knight Riders and now that he was celebrating Durga Puja, my memories of good old Kolkata started enticing me in absolute awe and joy. Kolkata,The City Of Palaces, the city where I had spent three to four years of my schooling , the city where I had my cricketing fervour exposed, the city that taught me "knowledge was not just books" (Thank God I learnt it in my 5th standard itself), the city where schools were much more fun-filled than the colleges, the innumerable number of bandhs and holidays, the city where the people were so hospitable and friendly, the city where the fastest of metros and the slowest of trams were side by side, the city which went frenzied at hearing the names of Sourav Ganguly, the city which had the likes of Tagore,Netaji, the city where I paid my homage to Mother Teresa.. It all sprang into my mind simultaneously.

Kolkata is a city that has a distinctive flavour stamped on it. The richest of the rich and the poorest of the poor mingle so easily and were so caring and loving for one another. Magnanimity and Helping Tendency wise I would rate them right at the top. The people were so expressive and they enjoyed for/at almost everything. Be it a Holi, a Dada century, a Mohun Bagan or an East Bengal win, a Leander Paes medal or for that matter even a victory in road side carrom or chess. They were de ones who just wanted a reason to celebrate.

When things are going like this in Bengal would people miss out a chance to celebrate the ten day gala - The Durga Pooja? Everyone go gaga over this Durga Pooja.. One of the most important festivals at Bengal. They celebrate it with such pomp and gaiety that it would be infectious for even the most insane person on the earth. And the winter holidays in the schools made us to erupt in sheer joy.. :)"Pundals" would be put up in every street corner. The idols of Durga, Lakshmi, Saraswathi and Ganesha (In some places even Lord Karthikeya) would be beautifully made with the highest of artistic acumen and they will be adorned with all types of jewels.

The whole of Kolkata would be on the streets from evening 4 to mid night 1. Durga Pooja being in the winter season and the temperature being in the ten's, it would not have been a more pleasant weather to visit almost all the streets in the huge metro. Even such a chill weather would not bog us down in eating the yummy ice creams in almost every single pundal. Not to forget the countless pani puris and rasagullas we gobbled in. The pleasure derived at such an enjoyment with family and friends is something which I cannot express in words.

The pleasure of the celebrations at Durga Pooja is because of the mixture of devotion, enjoyment and the collective effortss that the people put in trying to make the festive a stupendous success.. Even there were prizes for the best decorated "Pundals". So it added the necessary motivation to the function. The sincerity shown by the people for making everything the best is certainly inspirational and sometimes enviable too.. No doubt, Durga Pooja remains one of the most memorable moments of my life.

Now that I ve come back to Tamil Nadu, I miss Kolkata and everything associated with it!

Hope I will go there sooner or later :)

Make Merry,
Vignesh. :)

No comments: